Monday, April 22, 2013


Blog #3
Part 3 of the book start to refer to Siddharta´s new life since he met Kamala, and became a rich man.  He starts turning to vice, and I feel that the change was very drastic and exaggerated.  I personally don feel that it is wrong to have money or be rich, but clearly he is a Samana.  He feels more comfortable being a wanderer, and his wife knew that so she let him go.  I feel that the love he shares with Kamala can’t be that real if he can get bored of it.  It sounds like a pure physical attraction. 

I found it actually pretty funny how Kamaswami would send people to search from him thinking he was kidnapped, when he really just wanted to leave. It’s like the typical story of a prince who is bored of the easy life, and wants to go out and live.  When he thinks about suicide I have always found that to be something selfish to do.  In Siddharthas case he even has a child, and it’s not fair in my opinion that because you feel pain your family has to suffer.  I like how when he sees Govinda he instantly feels better.  That just reinforces the whole idea of how special their friendship is, and also the idea we discussed in class about Govinda acting as a protective symbol in his life.         

The river plays a very Taoist part in the story.  It refers to how the rivers path is not forced, and that you can learn m ore from it than any book you could ever read.  I feel that he contradicts himself when he decides to turn into the ferryman’s disciple, but it is like if he is trying to turn back into the spiritual man he is.   I guess that the love he had with Kamaal kind of becomes real again or just seems to appear once she finds him with their child, and she dies.          

No comments:

Post a Comment